Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Bazaar) Istanbul

The Egyptian Bazaar (Misir Carsisi in Turkish) is also known as Spice Market. It's located just behind the Yeni Mosque at Eminonu district, at the entrance of the Golden Horn. The Bazaar was originally made of wood in mid-17th century by the architect Kazim Aga, and got its final restorations during mid-forties. The name comes from the fact that Egyptians used to sell their spices here and that it once received income from taxes levied on Egypt. Instead the English name comes from the days when the Bazaar specialized on selling spices and herbs, medicinal plants and drugs. Lately there are also shops selling stuff other than spices but you can still see and smell many interesting spices, dried fruits and nuts, teas, oils and essences, sweets, honeycombs, and aphrodisiacs.
The Spice Market has 86 shops inside and there stands a plant market on one side and a food market on the other. There are 6 gates on an L-shaped Bazaar. The ceiling is higher respect to Grand Bazaar and this is also covered with domes.

The Egyptian Bazaar is open daily between 09:00-19.00 except on Sundays and during public or religious holidays.

The Spice Bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey (also known as the Egyptian Bazaar) (Turkish: Misir arsisi) is one of the oldest bazaars in the city. Located in Emin繹n羹, it is the second largest covered shopping complex after the Grand Bazaar. It is so named because various spices from the Orient were offered here in the past, and the alternative name, 'Egypian Bazaar', was so named because the spices came via Egypt. The Spice Bazaar was projected by the chief court architect Koca Kasim Aga, but completed by architect Mustafa in 1660.

ISTANBUL Egyptian Spice Bazaar

The Spice Bazaar is located next to the Flower Market on the banks of the Golden Horn called Makron and Envalos by the Byzantine and Emin繹n羹 by the Ottomans. The Spice Bazaar is one of the most characteristic places of Istanbul. Spice Bazaar which is one of the oldest covered bazaars of Istanbul is situated within the complex of Yeni Cami. The Yeni Cami complex which was commissioned by Safiye Sultan to be built and the construction of which started in the year 1591 was completed by Hatice Turhan Valide Sultan in the year 1633. The building situated in the complex is a "L" shape arasta.

( Arasta is a bazaar design particular to Ottomans. It is a building where shops specialised in one type of product are found.) Within the complex of Yeni Cami there are two fountains, the dar-羹l hadis- and children’s school. The architect of the Bazaar is believed to be Hassa Chief Architect Mustafa Aga or Kasim Aga who was the chamberlain of the Sultan. The Spice Bazaar has 6 doors which are not used today. There are one hundred shops in the bazaar. Although the mentioned Bazaar was first named Valide (Mother Sultan) Bazaar later it was named Egyptian Bazaar since the goods originating from India and brought to Istanbul via Egypt were sold here. The Spice Bazaar was burned down twice in 1691 and 1940 . The Bazaar was lately restorated by the municipality of Istanbul between the years 1940 and 1943. In the Bazaar which is famous for its herbalists currently dried fruits, delicatessen and various food staff besides conventional products such as natural medicines, spices, flower seeds, scarce plant roots and peels are sold. It is known that the spices sold here are in addition to their consumption as food staff, useful for the treatment of certain diseases. Lately an increase in the number of jewelery shops in the bazaar is being observed. Within the Spice Bazaar there are restaurants with a view over the Golden Horn and Galata Bridge as well. The Bazaar is open from Mondays to Saturdays.

Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Bazaar) Istanbul Images Galleries



Please feel free share your comments and questions :

Please feel free share your comments and questions :

"Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Bazaar) Istanbul" related content to share on social media;

WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Digg Pinterest Addthis