Construction began in 1906 and the church was completed in 1912. Its architect, Giulo Mongeri, who was born in Istanbul, gave it an Italian Neo-Gothic style. Today it is Istanbul's largest church with the busiest congregation and is run by Italian priests. The Church was built in a courtyard. The entrance of the church is on the main street between two apartments which were built to raise money for the church.