Tahtakale Baths Conversion
Built after 1460, the double bath of Tahtakale was partly destroyed during the great earthquake of 1894 and further endamaged by the fire of 1911. Sold to a private firm, it was used as a storehouse for cheese. During this conversion process walls were destroyed, windows and doorways were filled, a thick revetment for insulation was added. Lack of upkeep for decades increased the dilapidation of the remaining structure. In 1989, the building was no longer economically viable and clearing of the building was extremely expensive, The only financially possible use is its conversion to a commercial building.