Kadir Has University (KHU) or as mostly preferred by its students (KHAS), was founded in 1997, in Istanbul. The university, with its seven faculties of Engineering, Sciences and Humanities, Economics and Administrative Sciences, Communication, Law and Fine Arts, as well as its several vocational schools, is dedicated to becoming a leader in educational and cultural fields in Turkey, as well as establishing itself as an international center for research and scientific development. Prof. Yücel Yılmaz is the rector of the university.
Kadir Has University's central campus is located at Cibali Istanbul, neighboring the famous district Balat and the Golden Horn. The building was actually a tobacco factory, erected in 1884. After serving nearly seventy years as a TEKEL factory, due to the lack of maintenance, the building was roughly damaged and eventually was abandoned. It wasn't until the late 90's when Kadir Has Charity Foundation came up with the idea to turn this desolated factory building into a university. Eventually, TEKEL assigned the building to Kadir Has Charity Foundation in 1997 for twenty nine years. After four years of an outstanding restoration, it was officially opened in 30th of December 2002. The building impressively has over 35.000m2 of used area without its outdoors. Kadir Has University was nominated for the Europa Nostra Award for the beautiful restoration of an historical place and won it in 2003. After this huge success, again with the same aim, Kadir Has Charity Foundation bought the C block of the building from TEKEL also and started the restoration of this block which is planned to finish in November 2006.